Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Brief Overview of Baseball

America's Past time.  I chose this topic because it is my favorite sport and it is what i love.  I'm hoping to have people learn some details about baseball they probably didn't know.   Invented in 1744 in England.  Baseball in America became the most popular sport in the 1900's.  Even with the uproar of lacrosse, Baseball is and always will be Americas Past time.  In the MLB they play 162 games in 5 months for the regular season and at most another 19 in the playoffs to get the ultimate prize, The Commissioners Trophy, which is just known as the world series trophy.

There are 30 teams in the MLB and 2 different leagues, the American league and the national league.  with in those 2 leagues are 3 divisions.  The east, central, and west.  There are 5 teams in each division except for the National League Central which has 6, and the American League West which has 4 teams.  Not really sure why they have it like this but oh well.  Last year there were 8 playoff spots.  But this year the MLB decided to add 2 more in each league for more competition.  This will help those teams that haven't been able to make the playoffs with only one "wildcard" spot in each league,which in the American League has normally been dominated by the Yankees, Red Sox, or Tampa Bay Rays.  Not really sure how i feel about more playoff spots thought.  The Wild Card makes it so one team doesnt get into the League Championship without even winning a playoff game.

Feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. Jameson, Baseball is one of my favorite sports to watch, especially at Fenway! I didn’t realize that baseball started in England. I just assumed that it had started in the US (I’m just a smug American I guess.) You are such a huge Red Sox fan! Just from reading your posts, I’ve learned so much about the Sox Spring lineup. So many changes for the team this year (players and admin) but I have high hopes! I’d love to see you include some information on the Red Sox greats from the past. There have been so many Red Sox legends; Yaz, Ted Williams, Yogi Berra, to name only a few. You’re off to a great start with your blog; I’m looking forward to returning soon to read (and learn) more! Mrs. A.

    ReplyDelete